The School of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering offers Master of Engineering (M.Eng.), Master of Science (M.S.), and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees in Chemical Engineering. Students can choose from among the following areas of concentration: Biochemical Reactors; Biotechnology; Electrochemical Deposition; Environmentally Benign Manufacturing; Fluidization Engineering; Materials Synthesis and Processing; Micro Energy and Chemical Systems; Polymer Rheology and Processing; Process Control/Optimization; Thin Film Processing; and Waste Minimization and Sustainable Processing. All programs are tailored to individual student needs and professional goals. A diversity of faculty interests, broadened and reinforced by cooperation between CBEE and other engineering departments and research centers on campus, makes tailored individual programs possible. The department originates and encourages programs ranging from those that are classically chemical engineering to those that are distinctly interdisciplinary. 


Minimum Admission Requirements and Application Process

To become a CBEE graduate student you must be admitted to Oregon State University through both the Graduate School and the School of CBEE. The faculty in CBEE examine the material submitted to determine adequacy of academic background and to decide whether facilities in the School are adequate for the expressed aims of the student. The Graduate School will determine whether the general university conditions for admission have been met. Applicants will be notified by the Graduate School as to the action taken. A critical consideration in the decision is whether the applicant's academic objectives can be satisfactorily fulfilled. CBEE does not have the capacity to accommodate all applicants who meet the minimum admission requirements. Applicants to the school of CBEE graduate program must meet the OSU Graduate School's CBEE minimum admission requirements listed below, and submit a complete application package in order to be considered for admission

International students interested in the Master of Engineering (MEng) program should apply through Master's International Direct.

Only complete applications will be reviewed and considered for admission.

Application Cycles/Deadlines

CBEE only accepts students for the fall term.  We do not allow admissions for winter or spring terms.

  • Application deadline for consideration for all available fellowship opportunities: December 15, 2020.
  • Final application deadline (includes consideration for all remaining funding opportunities): January 1, 2021.

Applications for current M.Eng. students wishing to change from M.Eng. to M.S. must be completed by May 1 each year.


The School of CBEE application process is highly competitive and we normally make no more than 10-15 offers of support (assistantships) per year. Applicants with a very strong record and particular aptitude for graduate research may be offered an assistantship which provides a stipend and tuition remission. We can't guarantee that you will always be awarded funding. These are offered each February for the upcoming school year. Graduate assistants may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. If you are not awarded funding you should be prepared to be a self-supporting student. Also, due to the limited number of assistantships available, a preference is awarded to doctoral students and masters students are generally not financially supported by the School. Applicants to the School of CBEE do not need to complete a separate application in order to be considered for assistantships.  For full-consideration of all available funding opportunities, applicants must submit a COMPLETE application packet by December 15.   A complete application packet consists of the completed application, 3 letters of reference (included in application process), resume/CV, language proficiency scores (if applicable), and copies of transcripts from all post-secondary coursework.

Grade Point Average

The School of CBEE requires a four-year baccalaureate degree (or international equivalent), a professional degree, or an appropriate U.S./Canadian alternative degree, from a regionally accredited (US) or recognized (International) college or university, with a cumulative B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) on the most recent baccalaureate degree or any subsequent graduate degree from a regionally accredited (US) or recognized (International) college or university, plus all work completed thereafter.


A four-year baccalaureate degree (or international equivalent), a professional degree, or an appropriate U.S./Canadian alternative degree, from an regionally accredited (US) or recognized (International) college or university, and a 45-quarter credit equivalent graduate degree from a regionally accredited (US) or recognized (International) college or university, with a cumulative B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) on the most recent graduate degree.


NOTE: CBEE is waiving the GRE requirement this year; GRE scores are not required to apply for admission to the 2021-22 school year.

The School of CBEE requires the GRE test for all students. Scores cannot be more than five (5) years old at the time when graduate studies start. The minimum GRE requirements are 150 on the quantitative portion, 146 on the verbal, and 3.0 on the analytical writing section.

Language Proficiency

The CBEE minimum TOEFL is 580 (237 computer, 92-93 iBT with a minimum score of 18 on each section). TOEFL must be less than two years old at the time you will start your studies. The IELTS is accepted as well. The minimum score is 6.5. Language Proficiency tests are not required for US citizens or those who received their undergraduate degree from an English speaking country institution.  If your scores do not meet the minimum requirements you are encouraged to seek admission through the INTO Graduate Pathways Program.

Degree Programs

CBEE offers three degree programs in Chemical Engineering.  Students may apply directly to the program of their choice:

Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) - coursework only masters degree 
Master of Science (M.S.) - research/thesis-based masters degree
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) - research/thesis-based doctoral degree 

Applying for Admission

1. Materials that must be submitted electronically

  • Application for Graduate Admission: online application form Graduate Application. (International students interested in the Master of Engineering (MEng) program should apply through Master's International Direct.)
  • Fee: $75 for domestic students, $85 for international students (by credit card as part of online application)
  • Statement of Objectives (part of online application)
  • Resume/CV
  • Recommendation Letters: You must provide the names and email addresses of three professional references as part of the online application. The references will be sent instructions on how to submit their letters and you will have the ability to manage those reference requests after submitting the application.
  • TOEFL: You must self-report your scores as part of the online application. You must also request that TOEFL send your scores to OSU. Scores must be no older than 2 years at the time when your graduate studies start.
  • Applicants can upload documents during and after the application process.
2. Provide the following to the Graduate School:
  • Application materials may be scanned and uploaded into your online application.
  • If you upload documents to the online application, do not send them to the Graduate School via regular mail or email. Sending duplicate documents slows the processing of your application.
  • If you choose not to use the document upload system, please send all materials to this mailing address:

    Graduate School
    Oregon State University
    Heckart Lodge
    2900 SW Jefferson Way
    Corvallis, OR 97331-2121

If admitted you will be required to submit OFFICIAL documentation of all academic work attempted or completed prior to registration for courses. This includes all official transcripts/academic records, degree statements, test scores, etc. A list of required documents will be included on your formal letter of admission from the Graduate School. Further information about what is required for an OFFICIAL academic record can be found in the Newly Admitted section.

Admitted Grad Information

Initial Advising and Registration

Newly admitted graduate students are initially advised on class registration by the faculty in their research area of interest, a temporary advisor, or an assigned major advisor. Advising sessions are scheduled as part of the School of CBEE Graduate Orientation in September of each year.

Register on the web from the link at Student On-Line Services

Registration procedures available at:

Your GAP is your birth date (MM/DD/YY) and then you redefine a more secure GAP by following the menu. Contact the Registrar's Office, (541) 737-4331, 102 Kerr Administration Building, if you forget your GAP. (Graduate students don't need a pin # to register).

Applying for Computer Accounts


Questions? Need additional information or clarification? Please contact us at