Graduate studies in Environmental Engineering at Oregon State University emphasize the understanding of fundamental scientific and engineering principles to manage and solve environmental problems in natural and engineering systems. The instructional program is designed to develop strong analytical, design, and management capabilities in the application of biological, chemical and physical processes. Students are prepared for careers in consulting and design, environmental monitoring and management, or teaching and research. Research focuses on hazardous substances, environmental microbiology, fundamentals of transport processes in the environment, environmental chemistry, and groundwater and surface water resources.

The School of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering (CBEE) offers Master of Engineering (coursework only), (M.Eng.), Master of Science (M.S.), and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees in Environmental Engineering. All programs are tailored to individual student needs and professional goals. A diversity of faculty interests, broadened and reinforced by cooperation between CBEE and other engineering departments and research centers on campus, makes tailored individual programs possible.

Minimum Admission Requirements and Application Process

To become a CBEE graduate student you must be admitted to Oregon State University through both the Graduate School and the School of CBEE. The faculty in CBEE examine the material submitted to determine adequacy of academic background and to decide whether facilities in the School are adequate for the expressed aims of the student. The Graduate School will determine whether the general university conditions for admission have been met. Applicants will be notified by the Graduate School as to the action taken. A critical consideration in the decision is whether the applicant's academic objectives can be satisfactorily fulfilled. CBEE does not have the capacity to accommodate all applicants who meet the minimum admission requirements. Applicants to the school of CBEE graduate program must meet the OSU Graduate School's CBEE minimum admission requirements listed below, and submit a complete application package in order to be considered for admission

Only complete applications will be reviewed and considered for admission.

Application Cycles/Deadlines

CBEE only accepts students for the fall term.  We do not allow admissions for winter or spring terms.  Applications for admissions must be completed by December 15 each year.  Applications for current M.Eng. students wishing to change from M.Eng. to M.S. must be completed by May 1 each year.


The School of CBEE application process is highly competitive and we normally make no more than 10-15 offers of support (assistantships) per year. Applicants with a very strong record and particular aptitude for graduate research may be offered an assistantship which provides a stipend and tuition remission. We can't guarantee that you will always be awarded funding. These are offered each February for the upcoming school year. Graduate assistants may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. If you are not awarded funding you should be prepared to be a self-supporting student. Also, due to the limited number of assistantships available, M.Eng. students are generally not financially supported by the School. Applicants to the School of CBEE do not need to complete a separate application in order to be considered for assistantships.  For full-consideration of admission, applicants must submit a COMPLETE application packet by December 15. A complete application packet consists of the completed application, 3 letters of reference (included in application process), GRE scores, language proficiency scores (if applicable), and copies of transcripts from all post-secondary coursework.

Grade Point Average

The School of CBEE requires a four-year baccalaureate degree (or international equivalent), a professional degree, or an appropriate U.S./Canadian alternative degree, from a regionally accredited (US) or recognized (International) college or university, with a cumulative B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) on the most recent baccalaureate degree or any subsequent graduate degree from a regionally accredited (US) or recognized (International) college or university, plus all work completed thereafter.


A four-year baccalaureate degree (or international equivalent), a professional degree, or an appropriate U.S./Canadian alternative degree, from an regionally accredited (US) or recognized (International) college or university, and a 45-quarter credit equivalent graduate degree from a regionally accredited (US) or recognized (International) college or university, with a cumulative B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) on the most recent graduate degree.


The School of CBEE requires the GRE test for all students. Scores cannot be more than five (5) years old at the time when graduate studies start. The minimum GRE requirement is a combined score of 301, with at least 146 on the verbal, and 3.0 on the analytical writing section.

Language Proficiency

The CBEE minimum TOEFL is 580 (237 computer, 92-93 iBT with a minimum score of 18 on each section). TOEFL must be less than two years old at the time you will start your studies. The IELTS is accepted as well. The minimum score is 6.5. Language Proficiency tests are not required for US citizens or those who received their undergraduate degree from an English speaking country institution.  If your scores do not meet the minimum requirements you are encouraged to seek admission through the INTO Graduate Pathways Program.

Applying for Admission

1. Materials that must be submitted electronically

  • Application for Graduate Admission: online application form Graduate Application.
  • Statement of Objectives: (part of online application)
  • Fee: $75 for domestic students, $85 for international students (by credit card as part of online application)
  • Research Interest Area.
  • Recommendation Letters: You must provide the names and email addresses of three professional references as part of the online application. The references will be sent instructions on how to submit their letters and you will have the ability to manage those reference requests after submitting the application.
  • GRE: You must self-report your scores as part of the online application. Scores must be no older than 5 years at the time when your graduate studies start.
  • TOEFL: You must self-report your scores as part of the online application. You must also request that TOEFL send your scores to OSU. Scores must be no older than 2 years at the time when your graduate studies start.
  • Applicants can upload documents during and after the application process.

2. Provide the following to the Graduate School:

  • Application materials may be scanned and uploaded into your online application.
  • If you upload documents to the online application, do not send them to the Graduate School via regular mail or email. Sending duplicate documents slows the processing of your application.
  • If you choose not to use the document upload system, please send all materials to this mailing address:

Graduate School
Oregon State University
Heckart Lodge
2900 SW Jefferson Way
Corvallis, Oregon 97331

If admitted you will be required to submit OFFICIAL documentation of all academic work attempted or completed prior to registration for courses. This includes all official transcripts/academic records, degree statements, test scores, etc. A list of required documents will be included on your formal letter of admission from the Graduate School. Further information about what is required for an OFFICIAL academic record can be found in the Newly Admitted section.

Admitted Grad Information

Initial Advising and Registration

Newly admitted graduate students are initially advised on class registration by the School Manager or the Chair of the school's Graduate Committee. Advising sessions are scheduled as part of the School of CBEE Graduate Orientation in September of each year.

Register on the web from the link at Student On-Line Services

Registration procedures available at:

Your GAP is your birthday (MM/DD/YY) and then you redefine a more secure GAP by following the menu. Contact the Registrar's Office, (541) 737-4331, 102 Kerr Administration Building, if you forget your GAP. (Graduate students don't need a pin # to register).

Applying for Computer Accounts


Links to More Information